- 11 Tips For Maintaining Healthy Hair
- 1. Wash Your Hair Often
- 2. Use A Mild Shampoo
- 3. Apply A Conditioner After Shampooing
- 4. Use A Cotton Towel/Old T-shirt To Dry Your Hair
- 5. Oil Your Hair Often
- 6. Apply A Hair Mask
- 7. Use A Wide-toothed Comb
- 8. Limit Using Heat On Your Hair
- 9. Get Your Hair Trimmed
- 10. Eat Healthy Foods
- 11. Cover Your Hair To Protect It
Who doesn’t dream of thick and healthy hair? However, UV damage, humidity, heat and, the effects of pollution, etc., can turn your hair dull, dry, and brittle over time.
While you can always go for hair spas and professional treatments, they can be quite expensive in the long run. Now, what can you do!?
The good news is that you can get healthy hair with a proper hair care routine and diet. And to make it easier for you, we have made a list of 11 effective tips for luscious and healthy hair.
11 Tips For Maintaining Healthy Hair
1. Wash Your Hair Often
Washing your hair often will help it to get rid of the impurities and excess oil. Especially after a workout, it is always a better idea to wash your hair with a mild shampoo. This will help to remove any traces of sweat and dirt.
However, the frequency of washing your hair also varies according to your scalp and hair type. According to the American Academy Of Dermatology,
- If you have oily hair and scalp, you need to wash it once a day or once every two days
- If you have chemically treated hair or dry hair, then washing it twice/thrice a week would suffice.
2. Use A Mild Shampoo
Always use a mild, chemical-free shampoo for washing your hair. The fewer chemicals your shampoo contains, the better it will be for hair. Therefore, you should avoid using shampoos that contain harsh chemicals like parabens and sulfates, etc.
These chemicals can disrupt the pH balance of your scalp hair and make your hair dry and brittle in the long run.
Moreover, while shampooing, focus on your scalp rather than hair length and tips to avoid dull and fly-away hair.
3. Apply A Conditioner After Shampooing
Washing your hair with shampoo can remove its natural oils, especially if you have dry hair. Hence, you must apply a conditioner after shampooing as it adds moisture to your hair, making them manageable.
The right way to apply a conditioner is that you should leave it in your hair for 2-4 minutes before washing.
Moreover, the American Academy Of Dermatology says that you should apply it only to your hair tips and length since applying it to your roots can make your hair greasy.
4. Use A Cotton Towel/Old T-shirt To Dry Your Hair
Traditional towels are harsh on your hair and can damage it with time. Therefore, you should always use a micro-fibre towel or a cotton towel for drying your hair.
Moreover, never rub your hair with a towel as it can damage your hair shafts and cause breakage. You can also use an old T-shirt for drying for hair. Not only it will help to lock in the moisture, but will also be gentle on your hair.
5. Oil Your Hair Often
Applying oil to your scalp and hair is a great way to boost its blood circulation, prevent hair fall, repair slip ends, nourish the hair and, treat dandruff, etc. Almond oil, coconut oil, jasmine oil, and, castor oil, etc., are some best oils that you could choose from since they suit all hair types.
However, we recommend you not to opt for mineral oils for your hair. Also, here is the right way to oil your hair:
- Heat some oil and apply it to your scalp and hair. Then, massage it with light hands in circular motions for about 5-8 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap/towel and let the oil stay in your hair for at least 40 minutes. For best results, we recommend you leave it overnight.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo in the morning. Make sure you rinse it thoroughly to remove the oil!
6. Apply A Hair Mask
Hair packs can provide deep nourishment to your hair as well as make it silky and shiny. For best results, we recommend you apply a hair pack at least twice a month. You can simply make your DIY hair pack by following these 3 quick recipes:
- Avocado & Honey Hair Pack For Normal Hair: Mix 1 pulp of ripened avocado and with 1 tsp honey to make a paste. Apply it to your hair and leave it for 20-40 minutes before washing it off.
- Olive Oil & Egg Hair For Dry Hair: Add 2 eggs and 3 tsp of extra virgin olive oil in a bowl to make a mixture. Apply it to your hair and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it off with cold water, not warm water since the egg will get cooked.
- Apple Cider Vinegar & Lemon Hair Pack For Oily Hair: Add ⅓ cup of Apple Cider Vinegar with 2 tsp of lemon juice and mix them. Apply it to your hair and let it dry for 15-20 minutes. Then, wash your hair with cold water.
7. Use A Wide-toothed Comb
Since a wide-toothed comb prevents breakage, therefore, you must always use it for combing your wet hair. Moreover, gently pat it dry before combing it to soak the extra water as wet hair is fragile and can easily break off.
8. Limit Using Heat On Your Hair
Avoid using heat on your hair often as it can strip off its moisture and make it dull, dry, and frizzy. Moreover, heat can also damage your hair shafts and cause split ends.
Therefore, you must always apply a heat protection serum/spray to your hair while using a hot iron/curler for styling your hair.
9. Get Your Hair Trimmed
Heat styling, sunlight, and over washing, etc., can damage your hair shafts and cause split ends over time. Therefore, we recommend you to go for regular hair cuts/trims (every 4-6 months) to repair damaged hair.
Trimming also encourages healthy hair growth, prevents breakage, and, makes your hair thicker and bouncy. Furthermore, it is the best option for maintaining long hair it can get tangled easily and thereby, fall off easily.
10. Eat Healthy Foods
Last but not least, you need to eat a good diet to maintain healthy hair. Since your hair shaft mainly comprises proteins (keratin), you must include protein-rich foods into your daily diet.
According to hair experts, the best foods for hair are fatty fish, nuts, seeds, leafy greens, legumes, cabbage, and eggs, etc.
11. Cover Your Hair To Protect It
Direct exposure to excessive sunlight, humidity and, rain, etc., can make your hair dry, brittle, greasy, or increase the risk of scalp infections, etc. Therefore, just like you protect your skin, you also need to protect your hair by covering it with a scarf/hat/umbrella.
Moreover, you also need to keep your hair covered while swimming since chlorinated water can damage your hair and make them appear dull.
1. Which fruits are good for my hair?
For thick, healthy, and bouncy hair, we recommend you to include these fruits in your daily diet: banana, apple, avocado, papaya, berries and, kiwi, etc.
2. Is it necessary to shampoo my hair every time I take a bath?
No, you don’t need to shampoo your hair often as it could strip off your hair’s essential oils and make it dull and brittle. Therefore, for best results, shampoo 2-3 times a week.
3. Which natural ingredients can give me a healthy scalp?
Olive oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, aloe Vera, fenugreek seeds and, lemon, etc., are some easily available natural remedies for a healthy, dandruff-free scalp.
4. Is it wrong to sleep with wet hair?
Since wet hair is fragile and thus, more prone to breakage, we recommend you not to wash your hair before sleeping. However, if you don’t have any other choice, then at least soak the excess water from your hair with a cotton towel before sleeping.
You May Also Like To Read:
To sum up, just by following the right hair care routine, eating a proper diet, and washing your hair the right way, you can finally bid adieu to bad hair days! However, you need to be consistent and patient in following these tips, after all, good things take time!
Also, we would love to know which tip you tried, how beneficial it was in achieving your dream hair goals. So please don’t forget to share your experience with us.
If you have any further queries, post them down in the comment section. We will get back to you soon!