When we first join the gym, we hear a lot about consuming protein within 30 minutes after a workout, and our immediate reaction is, “well, that’s easy”. All you need to do is throw some protein powder in your duffel bag, and you’re all set, correct?
Well, not really.
You see, the subject of protein powder is passionately discussed in the health realm. Which protein powder is ideal? What amount would it be advisable for you to take? What’s the critical difference between Raw protein and Whey protein? Which one should we consume?
All these questions are good at one thing — and that is to bring a ton of confusion and vexation to the buyers. Now, figuring the difference between this protein is a bit time consuming, so we took the liberty to do that for you.
However, If it’s not too much trouble, note: This post is intended for educational purposes only and ought not to be taken as a clinical exhortation. Prior to taking any sort of supplements, kindly contact a doctor or dietitian.
We all know that protein is an imperative macronutrient to our daily life and diet, more importantly, if we wish to work out daily.
Protein is readily available throughout the market and is more convenient and cheaper due to popular demand. Protein is a game-changer for regular gymers and is the top supplement powder.
Therefore, if you are reckoning to invest in some protein powder, understanding the difference between raw and whey is crucial. It is essential to understand which one works the best according to your lifestyle and training.
So without further ado, let’s get started.
What is Raw Protein
Raw protein is the purest form of protein devoid of any additives or flavour. It is formed after the segregation of whey protein from a significant portion. It is enriched with amino acids and other critical nutrients in a concentrated form.
Lactose is removed during the processing, and there is little to no fat. Raw protein is the natural protein that comes with many beneficial nutrients missing from whey protein.
Raw protein is packed with anti-inflammatory, resistant factors, peptides, antioxidants, and minerals. It is the most natural supplement out there in the market.
What is Whey Protein
There are several types of protein powders, and they come with the three most common processing methods.
Concentrated protein can provide up to 80% of protein, and the other 20% is equipped with fats and carbohydrates. It is extracted from the heat and enzymes or acid from foods like animals or veggies.
Isolate protein goes through more and better processing and provides about 95% of protein. At the same time, they are processing the isolation and eliminating non-protein ingredients such as carbohydrates and fats, resulting in a more potent protein form.
This protein takes the whole processing one step further and maximises the potency of the powder while ensuring that it is absorbed as fast as possible.
Therefore, in a nutshell, whey protein is made from milk, where the milk is strained and curled, converting the whey into a concentrated powder.
The name Whey (Pronounced as Way) is just the name of this leftover milk. It is proven to recover and develop muscle mass faster, and thus it has more popularity. It is supplied in many forms, such as concentrated, isolate, hydrolysate (the primary one), and raw.
Difference Between Raw and Whey Protein?
Raw protein is not heated above 48° C (118f) and thus has more nutrients. On the other hand, the whey protein is broken down with the help of enzymes and high temperatures and therefore ensures that the protein is more concentrated and acute. Hence, whey protein is excellent for all those individuals looking to bulk up quickly.
Talking about raw protein, though it has a lower amount of protein, it does have more nutritional benefits. Thus it is not recommended for all quick gainers; instead, it is best for health-conscious individuals.
Hence, it depends on the lifestyle and goal. If you wish to get results fast, go for whey protein. In case you want more natural and nutritious protein, raw protein is an excellent choice.
|Whey Protein||Raw Protein|
|Protein per scoop –||25g||25g|
|Digestion –||Faster||Takes time|
|Added Flavor –||Yes||No|
|Mass Gain –||Similar||Similar|
Both of these protein powders are excellent and do the same job. However, depending on your lifestyle and goals, you should try either. Raw protein is the purest form of protein and has most nutrients that are not removed, like whey, as it is not exposed to too much heat.
If you want to have a natural and healthier protein along with some other advantages, go for raw. Go for whey protein if you want more fast results for muscle gain. Typically, both protein powders will do just fine.
That said, before making critical changes in your diet, make sure to visit your local doc or dietician.