The Bench Press is a fitness exercise that can be found in almost every training schedule. Bench pressing is a popular exercise for training the pectoral muscles, but also the triceps and shoulders are stimulated. Did you know that you shift the focus from your pectoral muscles to your triceps by placing your hands closer together? The narrow bench press is also called the Close Grip Bench Press. Bench presses with a narrow grip can be done in the gym by using the Bench Press device. However, if you have a bench and a dumbbell with weights lying at home, you can also do this exercise at home.
There are many different exercises for training your triceps. We have previously explained the Lying Tricep Extension, Tricep Dip, Seated Tricep Extension and Triceps Kickback technique. When training your triceps, it is important to take into account the anatomy of these muscles.
The Musculus Triceps Brachii has three heads and is located at the back of your upper arm. The main functions are the stretching of the forearm and adduction of the upper arm. The triceps brachii consists of the following 3 parts:
- Long head (caput longum) = has the main functions of stretching the arm and lifting the arm backwards.
- Medial head (caput mediale) = has the main functions of stretching the arm and turning the hand inwards.
- Lateral head (caput lateral) = has the main functions of stretching the arm and turning the hand inwards.
Close Grip Bench Press version
Do you want to add narrow bench press to your fitness routine? Then follow the steps below to learn the Close Grip Bench Press version!
- Lie flat on a horizontally placed fitness bench with your back.
- Put your feet flat on the ground.
- Grab the rod with your hands about 10 – 30 cm apart.
- Make sure your thumbs point inwards.
- Inhale and let the dumbbell down in a slow and controlled manner, at the height of your chest.
- During the downward movement, it is important to let your elbows come down along your body.
- Press up the weight explosively and exhale.
- Repeat this movement for the desired number of reps.
Narrow bench printing technique tips
To learn the right technique of the Close Grip Bench Press, Voeding-en-fitness.nl will be happy to give you some extra tips!
- Try to find for yourself the placement of your hands that you like. This can be shoulder width, but also even narrower. Too narrow can cause you to put too much load on your wrists, which can cause overload. So be careful with this.
- When you make a full range of motion, you will notice that the rod comes at a lower point of your chest than with normal bench press. With the narrow bench press, the dumbbell will come out approximately at the bottom of your sternum.
- Do you get a problem with your wrists during the Close Grip Bench Press? Then you can also opt for a narrow Dumbbell Press. You can rotate the dumbells for a quarter turn to create a neutral position of your wrists. Please note that you use lower weight because it is more difficult to stabilize the dumbbells.
Explaining fitness exercises
See more fitness exercises explained? Check out all the Fitness Exercises of the Week for correct execution and technique tips! In this section, I explain the technique of important fitness exercises. You can do both for exercises in the gym, and for exercises, you do at home. Do you have questions about a particular exercise? Then leave a comment on this blog.