Onions are an essential part of Indian cuisines; without them, Indian food is tasteless. But what most people don’t know is that onions are hidden warriors!
Onions include antibacterial properties and antioxidants that help prevent infections and ensure that the body can combat the damage. And because of these properties, they are excellent for hair and scalp health.
Nowadays, you can quickly find onion oil in the market; however, they contain chemicals and preservatives that can damage your hair.
So, how about making onion oil at home? In this article, I have shared my family recipe that will nourish your hair and resolve all your hair issues right away! But first, let’s have a look at the benefits of onion oil.
Benefits of Onion Hair Oil
As already told, onion is a valuable ingredient for your hair and overall health. Some valuable benefits of onion oil for hair are the following:
- Onion oil activates enzymes that lead to an increase in hair growth.
- Onion oil is rich in sulfur that helps prevents split-ends and breakage of hair.
- Onion oil means no need to dye hair! It helps delay the premature greying of hair so, now you can look young for a long time.
- It works as a natural shampoo conditioner as it nourishes your hair and makes them shiny and silky.
- It also helps fighting dandruff due to its antioxidant properties.
So, overall, it keeps your hair in good health. Now, it’s time to move on to the most crucial section.
Homemade Recipe to Make Onion Hair Oil
My family is susceptible to hair oils and shampoos available in the market. All-female members in my family have long, heavy, and smooth hair. Today, I am not just sharing the onion oil recipe but my family tradition with you!
Moreover, you can easily make the oil at home without spending much money. So, let’s first start with the ingredients required to complete an onion hair oil.
- 350-400 grams of Coconut Oil
- 2 Fresh onions
- 10-15 Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta)
- 10 Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
Let’s discuss the role of all ingredients.
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is very beneficial; it helps hydrates the scalp and reduce hair fall by making hair strong and shiny. You can quickly get coconut oil in the market but be careful as many hair oils are mixture of mineral oil and coconut oil.
Onions: Well, onion is the main ingredient; it contains sulfur that helps collagen production in the scalp. Collagen produces new and healthy skin over the scalp that can promote hair growth and strength.
In our family, we take small onions because they have more nutritional properties than large ones. Therefore, I will also suggest you use small onions, but you can use large onions; there is no harm.
Curry Leaves and Fenugreek Seeds: We all know onion stinks! Curry Leaves and fenugreek seeds help reduce the foul smell of onions and also, they are rich in proteins and antioxidants. They help to prevent hair loss and remove dandruff.
Procedure for DIY Onion Hair Oil
I am sure you can easily find all the ingredients at your home. So, let’s start with the procedure.
- Step 1:Take the onions and peel the outer brown skin with hands or knife; however, you feel correct.
- Step 2:Chop the peeled onions and grind them with curry leaves and fenugreek seeds on a grindstone or grinder till it turns to paste. Chopping and grinding will help in extracting juice quickly.
- Step 3:Put the onion paste and coconut oil in an iron pan and start heating on low heat.
- Step 4:Once it starts heating, you will see some bubbles appearing. Continue heating at low heat and make sure to stir from time to time.
- Step 5:With the heating increasing, sputtering will also increase to the rim of the pan. Continue heating until the bubbling and sputtering reduce. Reduction in it means all the water content from onions has evaporated. (Heat only at a low level so that onions and oil don’t get burned)
- Step 6:The moment sputtering stops, switch off the gas and let it cool.
- Step 7:After cooling, strain the oil into a clean container; make sure that the container has a cap.
Wuhuu! Your homemade 100% pure and natural onion oil is ready!
How To Apply Onion Oil?
To apply the homemade onion oil, put some drops in your palms and massage for 10-15 minutes on your scalp. Make sure to massage it gently and use a circular motion so that the oil reaches all areas.
After massaging your hair, let it on your hair for 2-3 hours, and then wash it with your regular shampoo. Apply it twice per week to get fast and better results.
And store the oil at room temperature and make sure to light warm it once a week.
Wait! Where are you going; to make onion oil? We suggest you read precautions and tips before creating anything, mainly if you apply it to your hair or skin. So, let’s have a look.
Tips and Precautions
Before directly making onion hair oil, you should remember the following tips and precautions:
- Excess use of onions can irritate your scalp; so, add only recommended amount of onions (maximum 2)
- If you have an oily scalp, coconut oil can block pores, so use it less or substitute it with castor oil.
- If you are too sensitive to onion smells, then you can add few drops of jasmine oil or almond oil.
- Massage your scalp only for 10-15 minutes. Excess massage may cause some amount of inflammation.
- Homemade onion oil can have eye-tearing effects; therefore, apply only a few drops of it.
- Ensure to wash your hair after 2-3 hours as fenugreek can be stuck in your hair, and it is not easy to take out.
- Before using onion oil, you should make sure that you are not allergic to it. We suggest you apply the oil to your inner arm before using it on your hair.
Until recently, onion was just an ingredient used to add taste to foods, but now, its benefits have become crystal clear. Onion hair oil can solve many hair problems; basically, it is “5 problems one solution” in a true sense.
Both males and females can apply onion oil but make sure to follow the tips mentioned above. So, what are you waiting for? Start making your onion oil at home and share your experiences with us.
Stay Beautiful and Healthy!