Do you want to train your biceps and are you looking for new challenging exercises? Then the Incline Biceps Curl is a good exercise to add to your workout. By lying slightly back on a bench you increase the range of motion (ROM). This larger movement allows you to train the entire bicep and create a lot of tension on the muscle. Incline Bicep Curls are not tricky, but you have to take into account some things. That’s why I explain the correct Incline Biceps Curl version on Voeding-en-fitness.nl. I also give you some technique tips to achieve maximum results!
Anatomy Biceps Brachii
Before I go on with my explanation of the Incline Biceps Curl version, let’s take a look at the anatomy of your bicep. The Musculus Biceps Brachii consists of a long head and a short head. The main function of this muscle is to bend and turn the forearm inwards. This is called flexion and supination, respectively. By training your biceps you also take the Musculus Brachialis with you. It runs over the front of the elbow joint and is the main flexing muscle of the upper arm, regardless of the pronation or supination position of the forearm.
Incline Biceps Curl version
Do you want to learn the Incline Biceps Curl version? Then follow the steps below.
- Grab a fitness bench and set the backrest on a slope of about 30 degrees.
- Sit on the bench and grab 2 dumbbells with private grip.
- Then lie with your back against the handrail of the bench.
- Let your arms hang down along your body with a slight bend in your elbow, so that the tension is placed on your biceps.
- Raise the dumbbells by moving your forearms. Your elbows stay stable and in the same place.
- Squeeze your biceps together when you’re at the top, then slowly lower the weights.
- Repeat this movement for the desired number of reps.
Technique tips Incline Dumbbell Curls
- Use lower weights than you’re used to with normal curls with these Incline Curls. Cheating is more difficult and because the range of motion is larger, this exercise quickly becomes heavy with a lower weight.
- Don’t put the handrail of the fitness bench too far back. There will be an unnecessary amount of tension on your biceps attachment. This means a greater risk of injury.
- Keep your elbows still while performing this bicep exercise. Are you going to swing your arms? Then you start using other muscles and you lose focus on your biceps.
- To vary, you can also do an Incline Hammer Curl. You turn the thumbs inwards so that the dumbbells are in a vertical position.
- The Incline Biceps Curl can be performed at home if you have a fitness bench and set of dumbbells. These materials can be ordered online at, among others, Betersport, Fitness-Seller and Gorilla Sports.
Incline Bicep Curl video
In the video below you can see the correct version of the Incline Bicep Curls.
In this blog you have learned the best Incline Biceps Curl version. Process this exercise and the technique tips into your fitness schedule to get stronger upper arms.