- 5 Simple Mattress Cleaning Tips To Clean Your Mattress Without A Vacuum
Did you know that you spend roughly one-third of your life on your mattress? Yes, you read it right! So this is a household item that you must pay attention to and clean often.
Moreover, it is vital to clean your mattress regularly to prevent the accumulation of dust mites, dead cells, sweat, and fluids. Not only that, but a clean mattress also helps you to sleep well.
But, because not everyone owns a vacuum, we’ve listed 5 simple tips for cleaning your mattress (without using a vacuum cleaner).
So let’s get started!
5 Simple Mattress Cleaning Tips To Clean Your Mattress Without A Vacuum
1. Soap And Water Solution
One of the easiest and most economical ways to clean a mattress is to use a soap and water solution. It is an effective way of removing any traces of urine, sweat, or foul odors from your mattress.
Here’s how to use it:
- Prepare a soap solution by mixing tsp of liquid soap into 1 liter of cold water. To clean a smaller mattress, use half a liter of water.
- Mix these two ingredients in a bowl until frothy paste forms.
- Dip a clean cloth in the solution, and then dab it on the stains. Scrub them vigorously in a circular motion.
- Then, wipe a clean, damp towel over the mattress to remove the remaining solution and leave it to air-dry.
2. Vinegar And Baking Soda Solution
Vinegar and baking soda is an all-natural, tried-and-tested method of cleaning a mattress. Baking soda dissolves grease and dirt, and vinegar is a natural sanitizer. As a result, the dual action of vinegar and baking soda cleans your mattress while also removing stains and odors.
Here’s how to use it:
- Sprinkle some baking soda onto your mattress and make sure that you cover it completely.
- Spray the vinegar over the baking soda with a spray bottle and let it bubble for a few minutes.
- Cover the mattress with cloths or towels for 2-4 hours.
- Then, remove the cloths/towels and let the mattress air-dry.
- Scrape off the dried baking soda with a cloth or brush.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda, And Dish Detergent Solution
Hydrogen peroxide is an enzyme that cleans your mattress thoroughly. It can break down bodily fluids that have stained your mattress.
Moreover, when combined with baking soda, it is effective in removing any foul odors from the mattress.
Here’s how to use it:
- Combine three ounces of hydrogen peroxide, 2-4 tsp of baking soda, and 3 tsp of dish detergent into a spray bottle and spray onto the mattress.
- Let it to sit for 2-3 hours.
- Once dry, wipe it off with a damp cloth or clean it with a stiff brush. Allow the mattress to air-dry.
Warning: Do not use peroxide on dark-colored mattresses since the peroxide’s mild bleaching action may discolour them.
4. Baking Soda and Sunlight To Clean Your Mattress
Do you know that sunlight is effective in killing dust mites, bacteria, or mould growth in your mattress? Yes, it is because the UV rays from the sun penetrate the cells of all bacteria and destroy their reproductive potential. Moreover, sprinkling baking soda on your mattress can get off any foul smells from it since baking soda acts as a natural deodorizer.
Here’s how to clean your mattress by this method:
- Remove the bed sheet and brush off the surface of the mattress.
- Sprinkle some baking soda over the mattress. Using a siever will make it easier for you to sprinkle.
- Let the mattress sit in the sun for 6-8 hours.
- Take a dry cloth or towel and wipe off the surface to remove any traces of baking soda.
5. Essential Oils And Baking Soda Solution
According to one study, eucalyptus, peppermint or lavender essential oils can safely and efficiently eliminate dust mites. Moreover, combining baking soda with essential oils will eliminate bacteria and unpleasant odors and leave it smelling fresh.
Here’s how to do it:
- Mix 8-12 drops of your favorite essential oil into a half cup of baking soda to form a paste.
- Rub this paste onto the mattress and let it sit for at least 1 hour. This will break down fluids and remove unpleasant smells from the mattress.
- Wipe it off with the help of a damp towel or a stiff brush.
- Once the mattress is clean, let it dry in the fresh air.
Tips To Remember When Cleaning a Mattress
Now that you are familiar with different ways to clean your mattress, here are some important tips to keep in mind before you begin cleaning:
- Remove all bed sheets, pillows, and anything else that’s on your bed.
- To prevent the colour transfer from your cloth to the mattress, always use a clean white cloth.
- Before using any cleaning products on your mattress, always read the manufacturer’s instructions. Using strong cleaning products and chemicals might harm your mattress as well as your health.
- Never combine hydrogen peroxide with vinegar in the same container as it can release a toxic fume.
- Always use a mattress protector to protect your mattress from stains and spills while also extending mattress life.
- Flip your mattress frequently to prolong its life and maintain it clean.
- After you’ve cleaned your mattress, make sure it’s totally dry since any moisture will encourage mould and germs to grow.
1. How often should you clean your mattress?
It’s a good idea to clean your mattress twice a year. However, if you have small children, you should clean it more often since they can stain your mattress with urine.
2. What is the best way to get dog urine out of a mattress?
Combine hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap in a mixing bowl. Shake it gently and place it on top of a pee-stained mattress. To get rid of urine stench, dab the wet area with a dry cloth or towel and let the mattress air dry.
You May Also Like To Read:
Cleaning your mattress is essential for removing bacteria, dirt, and odors while also promoting a good night’s sleep. The good news is that it can be cleaned with just a few basic home items and you don’t necessarily require a vacuum cleaner.
We hope this article helps you in cleaning your mattress without using a vacuum cleaner so that you wake up fresh in the morning!
If you have any further queries, please let us know in the comment section below. We will be happy to help you!