Are you having trouble staying cool at night? Or do you want to transform your bedroom? Comforter is what you might need!
Like good quality mattresses, bedsheets, and pillows, comforters are also a bedding item that lends warmth, comfort, and a cozy feeling. But there are many factors to consider to buy a perfect comforter.
Comforters are available in different sizes, fabrics, types, power, weight, and so on. Therefore, the process of choosing a comforter is complicated and confusing. Don’t worry! We are here to help you.
This article will help you buy a perfect comforter that is suitable for you and your bedroom. So, here’s the comforter buying guide for you.
Comforter Buying Guide:
Buying a comforter is not rocket science! A little knowledge of fabric, filling, warmth, etc., is more than enough requirement. But most important is that you should know what is suitable for you. Anyways, without further ado, let’s get started.
What Type of Sleeper Are You?
First of all, you should know what kind of sleeper you are—warm/hot sleeper, regular sleeper, or cold sleeper.
- Hot Sleeper: Hot sleepers always get hot quickly and kicks off the covers to find cold spots.
- Normal Sleeper: Normal sleepers are usually low maintenance, and they can sleep wherever they want to. They are too hot or too cold in extreme temperatures only.
- Cold Sleeper: Cold sleeper needs covers even in summers. They cannot sleep if the covers are open a little bit.
So, what do you think which one you are? After asking and thinking to yourself, move to the next decision.
Choosing the suitable fabric of comforter is an essential step while buying it. The material of the comforter has an impact on our sleep. The most common comforter fabrics are cotton, wool, silk, and bamboo.
- Cotton: Most people prefer cotton comforter as it is light-weighted, soft, and breathable. Plus, it is long-lasting and easy to care for. It helps to keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Wool: Wool Comforters are the winner in durability and naturality! Many of us think that wool comforters are for winters only, but that’s not true. It regulates our body temperature in all seasons. However, they need more care than cotton comforters.
- Silk: Silk comforters are recognizable as luxurious comforters. They are expensive and need more care than other comforters. Its soft feel is good for sleeping, and it also removes moisture.
- Bamboo: Bamboo Comforters are all-rounder! If you are a hot sleeper, then bamboo comforters are for you, man! They are breathable, light-weighted, sweat-absorbent at affordable prices.
Most popular comforters include cotton and wool in fillings. Cotton fillings are light-weighted and breathable for all seasons, whereas wool fillings are suitable for exceptional warmth requirements.
Comforters are made of synthetic fillings such as microfibre, polyester, and rayon. They are affordable, lightweight, washable, and convenient. Also, they are suitable for all seasons.
The comforter’s warmth gets determined by two critical factors—Fill power and the Stitching method of the comforter.
Fill power of comforter: It indicates the warmth and comfort of the comforter; high the fill power, the warmer the blanket. Do not opt for the highest fill power as it will be unbreathable and too hot, especially if you are a hot sleeper.
Stitching method of comforter: It determines how light, warm, and comfortable your comforter is! For instance, a sewing technique is known as baffle box construction, in which the comforter gets stitched in small boxes that make it fluffier and warmer.
Fully covered in our blankets after a busy day is a very nice feeling. That is why comforter sizes play an important role while choosing comforters. We suggest you buy a comforter bigger than your mattress size. It helps you get extra coverage and covers you entirely from head to toe.
|Different Comforter Sizes|
|Bed Size||Mattress Dimensions (inches)||Comforter Sizes (Inches)|
Note: Refer to your country’s size chart.
Comforter Care and Durability
Taking care of your comforter is as important as choosing it! You must wash your bedding items regularly to keep them clean. Also, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid any damage to your comforters.
Fortunately, comforters don’t get dirty quickly but taking care of some comforters is a difficult task. Some are lightweight, washable, and easy to take care of; however, some materials such as wool and silk can make it difficult for you to take care of them.
For such comforters, you may need a professional cleaning that can cost you very much. We suggest you choose a comforter that is relatively easy for you to take good care of without spending on dry cleaners.
Comforters can get very expensive even if their quality is not that good. Make sure to buy a comforter that is within your budget. Some factors that determine the cost of a comforter are brand, Country of Origin, need for a duvet, and other factors mentioned above.
If you are looking for affordable comforters with good quality, then go with comforters with synthetic filling.
Wrapping Up: How to Choose a Comforter?
Comforters have become one of the essential parts of your bedroom; therefore, choosing the right comforter is necessary. Start with deciding the kind of sleeper and then gradually move on to other factors to select a suitable comforter.
So, what are you waiting for? Please make a list of what you want in your comforter with the help of our guide and go shopping. And don’t forget to comment on your experiences with buying comforters.