There are many ways to train your biceps. For example, you can use a barbell, EZ rod and lose dumbbells.
But more and more athletes are opting for the use of cables in their bicep workout. The Standing Biceps Cable Curl is an example of such a popular fitness exercise. On Voeding-en-fitness.nl I have explained before how you can train the ‘guns’ with exercises like the Barbell Curl, Preacher Curl and Hammer Curl. This time I want to pay more attention to Cable Curls. In this article, you can read more about the correct Cable Curl version, and I’ll give you some practical technique tips. The advantage of curling with cables is that you keep tension on the muscle over the entire movement.
Before we go on with the explanation of the Cable Curl version, take a look at the anatomy of the biceps. The Latin name of the biceps is musculus biceps brachii. The biceps is a muscle with two heads. The short head, also called m. biceps brachii caput breve, sits on the arm’s inside (medial). The long head, them. Biceps brachii caput long sits on the outside (lateral) of the arm. Both heads have their origin to sit on the shoulder blade (scapula). The attachment of the muscle is attached to the spoke bone (radius).
The biceps is a polyarticular muscle. This means that the muscle lies over 2 joints, namely the shoulder joint and the elbow joint. This allows the muscle to bend the forearm(flexion), lift the arm forward(anteflexion) and turn the forearm outwards(supination).
Cable Curl version
Follow the steps below to learn the correct Cable Curl version. This way, you can optimize the training for larger muscles! Learn more exercises? Check out all the fitness exercises + explanations here !
- Choose a cable station where you can attach a short straight rod to the bottom.
- Take a step back, so you’re right in front of the cable.
- Place your feet shoulder-width and make sure to bend your knees slightly.
- Take the rod in your hands with private grip (thumb up) and stand up properly.
- Tighten your abs and keep them tightened throughout the Cable Curl.
- Slowly lower the rod towards your upper legs.
- Raise the rod explosively towards your chest.
- Repeat this movement for the desired number of rehearsals.
Technique Bicep Cable Curls
With this technique tips, you can make sure you get the most out of your fitness workout.
- Leave your ego at home. With an insulation exercise such as the Standing Cable Curl, you’d better take a lighter weight. Then you can put more focus on the biceps and prevent you from lifting too much from your back.
- For a good posture, it is important to bend your knees slightly. This will make you stand firmer and reduce tension on your knee joints. This makes it easier to keep the Cable Curl version neat. Even when the last repetitions get heavier. You prevent you from waving and cheating.
- Keep your elbows still, and make sure you have a controlled movement. During the curl movement, focus on the contraction of the biceps. When you use too much momentum to lift the weight, you take the tension off your arm muscles.
You can also do the Bicep Cable Curl at home if you have a power station or cable crossover device.
Cable Curls video
More biceps exercises
Besides the Cable Curl, there are of course many more fitness exercises to train your biceps with. Other good bicep exercises include the Barbell Curl, Hammer Curl, Preacher Curl, Dumbbell Curl, Concentration Curl and Incline Biceps Curl. Do you have any nice additions to this list?