We all are well aware of how important it is for us to drink around eight glasses of water to maintain good health. According to research, not drinking enough water can cause dehydration, mood swings, body heating and more.
But did you know you that can gain extra benefits by drinking alkaline water?
You must have heard or seen people using an alkaline water bottle as they are supplied by major water companies worldwide.
But in case you haven’t heard about alkaline water at all, then no worries. In this article, I’ll explain everything about alkaline water, its benefits, side effects and how you can make this water yourself at your home.
What is Alkaline Water?
Firstly, it is essential to understand what alkaline water is and how it is different from regular water.
Alkaline water is basically water carrying a pH level higher than seven on the scale. pH level is used to regulate how acidic a substance is, and it ranges on a scale from 0 to 14. The pH level of regular drinking water usually ranges from 6.5 to around 8.5.
Substances with a pH below seven are viewed as more acidic, while higher than seven is considered alkaline. Some examples of acidic substances are lemon juice with a pH level of 2 and Vinegar with a pH level of 3.
While a few examples of alkaline substances are Baking soda with a pH of 8 or 9, the pH level does play a significant part in alkaline water, but it isn’t the only thing that is important as alkaline water also include several alkaline minerals such as potassium, calcium and more.
Whether water is acidic or alkaline, if the pH level is too high or low, it can cause a few unfavorable effects. Therefore, if the water contains high involvement of alkaline, then water might come across as a bit too bitter in taste.
Benefits of Alkaline water
Some of the benefits produced by alkaline water are as follows:
1. Alkaline water can be beneficial for those people who work out regularly as it includes various hydrating properties that can assist in providing proper hydration to your body. Alkaline water can rapidly re-hydrate the body because the molecules get absorbed quickly by the cell as their size is comparatively much smaller than regular water.
2. Alkaline water might help keep your bones healthy as they include essential minerals such as calcium and magnesium that are good for keeping the bone strong and healthy.
3. Since the pH level is much higher in alkaline water than in usual water, it might be beneficial in neutralizing the acidity by reducing the excessive acidic content from your gastrointestinal tract and stomach.
4. The antioxidants present in alkaline water might help in lowering your signs of aging. Hydration and filtering out the free radicals from your body can help reduce aging issues and keep your body cells healthy.
5. Alkaline water contains a high pH level compared to regular drinking water, which is high in acid. However, too much acid can often cause a loss of energy. Meanwhile, Alkaline water reverses the acidic level, which can help in restoring the energy.
Alkaline water provides you with health and skin benefits. However, it is always better to first consult your doctor before shifting to alkaline water.
Side Effects of Alkaline water
Although alkaline water might come across as a safe and reasonable option that you can consume for health benefits, it can still have a few unfavorable effects on the body, such as damaging and eliminating the good bacteria present in the body.
Too much consumption of alkaline water can lead to destroying the natural acids that exist in your stomach, and removing them can eliminate probiotics from your body.
The body needs to contain probiotics in order to fight dangerous pathogens and bacteria.
How to make alkaline water?
You can easily create alkaline water at your home by yourself using simple things such as baking soda and lemon.
1. Baking Soda
To make alkaline water using baking soda, which contains a pH of nine. Take a gallon of water, or you can use around four liters of water and combine it with around half tbsp of baking soda.
In order to let it dissolve entirely, you can shake it, and once it gets dissolved, it is ready and good to use.
For this procedure, you can use a pitcher and fill it completely with water. Then take a parted piece of lemon and squash it to get the juice and using a spoon, you can mix it thoroughly to make sure the juice gets dissolves in the water.
Once it gets entirely dissolved, it is good for consumption. Lemon doesn’t contain alkaline naturally in fact; it has a pH level of less than seven, which is acidic in nature.
However, when you add the juice of lemon with water and completely metabolize it produces alkalizing effects. It increases the pH level by more than seven, which makes it alkaline.
So when you drink water compounded with lemon, it will provide you alkaline benefits in your body.
Should I consume alkaline water daily?
Having one bottle of alkaline water might not be harmful to you. But consuming tons of alkaline water daily can cause issues like digestive enzymes and gastric juices. So, it’s better to not go overboard with alkaline water.
What are some of the alkaline-based food?
Some of the alkaline-based foods are Nuts, Broccoli, Root vegetables, and Citrus food.
You May Like To Read:
Alkaline water can be excellent in providing you with some of the best health benefits. However, too much consumption of it can be a bit bad and damaging to your health and body.
We have mentioned everything about alkaline water, from the benefits to side effects that help you understand this better. But it is always better to seek the advice of your doctor first before shifting to alkaline water.
Tell us in the comments, if you face any doubts about alkaline water.